Sunday 20 March 2011

Future Ambitions vs Reality

Recently I've been thinking more about the future and what I may ultimately end up doing. It's easy to think that we'll each have an understanding of the things we aren't completely sure of now, as if all the learning and training we will have in life has suddenly clicked into place, and we are all completely confident and sure of everything, and life is sorted. But in all honesty I know it's not always like that.

There are some areas of knowledge that even after years of involvement in the world that I am still stumped on. Like maths; I studied maths in school for 11 years. I am still terrible at maths. Basic addition and subtraction takes me a while to figure out and even then I still need a calculator.

With my training still ongoing in my newish job I am constantly aware of the amount I still do not know and things do not always come naturally to me. Most of this will be experience and practice, which is fine. I'm sure I'll eventually get there. What preoccupies me more is how long I will have to do it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad job! It's just that sometimes I look back on the fact that I started this same role at 16 part-time whilst at school. Had I not bothered with my A Levels or university then I would be in arguably a better position in terms of a career in the same field. This seems to be what one of my colleges who is close to my age has done; and now she is in a good position with her job and has unshakable knowledge and confidence.

However I also then force myself to look at things a little more realistically: I have worked in a supermarket, 3 opticians, a call centre, an admin office, and several different shops. I have completed 3 A Levels (and an AS Level too!) and a degree. The fact that I am not working in my dream career is a combination of factors revolving around the restrictions of the recession, laziness, and the fact I am still not too sure what my EXACT dream career is and how to (successfully) get into it...

... but also if I stay with Tom and he does get into the Forces, perhaps I won't have to worry about it at all. I can choose where and when to work at my own leisure if money is not a problem (the dream of part-time hours!) Perhaps then I can actually look into options of what I really want to do, and I'm not telling you what that is yet!

I may require some kind of careers guidance I guess.

No comments: