Thursday 23 June 2011

A Greater Reliance on Technology?

I'm not too techy. There's a problem with that in our society with there being huge gaps in the general public's abilities and knowledge with all things electronic and 'technology'. THESE ARE GENERALISATIONS!

For example, those who just do not have any involvement with computers (eg the older generation who never needed to) and so just kind of shun the whole thing quite happily.

Then there's those who use everything, like all kinds of gadgets and, well, buzzy-stuff. Generally seem to be the younger generations of society, and male. All my young male friends have things like iPhones, iPods, want iPads and other i-esque things to improve their lives. They're the ones who know about programming and downloading and how to set up computers and run them properly, to add stuff and change bits, know what things like graphics cards and USB drives and enjoy games consols. The guys I call whenever the laptop won't connect to the internet despite me merely turning the damn thing on for the 1000th time and this being a new issue.
Helpful as these people are, they tend to become obsessed with these kinds of things and it gets really boring being the one who isn't involved in all the same stuff and has no idea about it all.

Then there is myself. Can use a computer. Knows a few websites worth looking at (mainly the hilarious ICanHAsCheezburger.com, the interesting Cracked.com, and the thoughtful OliviasAdulthood.blogspot.com) cannot fathom why printers have to make life so difficult, knows how to call, text, and take pictures using my mobile phone but not much else. Yet everything seems to be more technical and it's annoying. I want a 'crap phone', as said by one comedian; I don't need internet stuff or touchscreen stuff and so on. There are so many wires and cables dotted about the flat from TV stuff, computer stuff, Xbox stuff, phone stuff etc.

I just think we're getting too reliant on all this electronic amusement which is so damn fast, that as soon as we know it we're bored again. I spent a few hours each day on the laptop. Doing what? Mainly procrastinating. The time it takes me to look at all I want and enjoy it is probably only about 1 hour, yet I spend longer on it. I have access to the answers to any question but so little useful information is out there. But it's convenient. It's fast. I don't need to buy a newspaper because I can look online.

There has to be a balance.

No comments: