Sunday 22 May 2011

All gone to ruin?

Just wondering, without going into too much detail, is it pathetic to let some bad things ruin the better things?

Some people may say you can have things ruined if you let them, and therefore it's more an attitude to ignore the bad and concentrate on the good. Some find that getting the balance to fall in the better times' favour can be too delicate and thus easily tipped over into bad territory.

This weekend was big, and on approach I was filled with excitement as not only was it my birthday but also was my friends' wedding. However the other night I suddenly was struck with some sadness which had kind of came out of nowhere. My birthday has a bit of a turbulent history so around that time I'm reminded of some things, but they don't stop me enjoying myself or celebrating what it is. I think it's acceptable for a few hours of the year to remember times and get a bit upset about them, because then it's out of your system and you can carry on with things, and then also remember the better memories as the painful ones have almost been moved through and you're on the other side.

As it was, someone was a bit tactless to me about the whole thing, and I got much more upset and for longer than necessary, rather than just being allowed to have some 'sad time' (for want of a better definition) and then return to form when ready.

Anyway, back to the title point. I've obviously had a big and busy weekend; spending one day at my friends' wedding and the next with my family celebrating my birthday. It was a good time, but I'm wondering if a few things amongst it have tainted it in a more negative light than I would like. This has nothing to do with the sad memories of the past (life has very much moved on) but more making me frustrated with how things are going at the present. Am I just being overly sensitive and allowing negative things to bother me? And how can I turn that off? Do you tend to remember the bad things more clearly? Or am I almost justifiably annoyed about whatever has bothered me? Maybe a bit of both? Tough call.

No comments: