Sunday 27 November 2011

Mum's surprise 50th

It's Sunday and we're back in Chelt after spending the weekend with my parents. I had the entire week booked as holiday months ago knowing it's Mum's birthday, but my sister decided to throw her a surprise party! We could only come down for a couple of days as Tom still needs his dressings to be changed by a nurse every other day or so.

Saturday we spend seeing my sister's new house (bought but not yet moved in, I'm told it can take a while due to lots of dull reasons) and then we secretly helped her set up. At her place she even painted my nails sparkly blue much to my delight! So pretty! We had a sneaky curry then headed back home to Mum to get ready for the 'meal' we'd told her had been arranged.

En route we 'found out' the table had been delayed, and "oh look Michelle is outside of this social club, so we should really have a quick drink in here!" and led Mum through the building to a room where we'd assembled about 40 guests for her surprise. Went off without a hitch, and she didn't suspect a thing! She was thoroughly chuffed and really enjoyed herself. It was a lovely evening catching up with a few family members I didn't really remember and some family friends I did. And we ended the night putting the helium in the balloons to good use!

Home now after a tense journey (I needed a wee for the best part of an hour whilst we were stuck behind a slow car and a lorry) and back to our own maturity zone - organising our dinner, feeding lizards (Chloe had been taking care of them in our absence)... It's strange but nice coming home to our own place and feeling like we're the adults instead of the kids. Also I never sleep well at M&D's though that has ALWAYS been the case, even when I lived there. Something odd about that house... I think I miss Cheltenham more than I realise when I'm away from it; Bicester doesn't hold many charms to draw us back and the friends I have here make this town more of a home to us.

Back to work Tuesday for a long stretch of either five or six days. Can't say I'm massively looking forward to it, but hopefully things will be busy and run smoothly.

No comments: