Friday 8 June 2012

Nearly there! And a history of life.

My sister's wedding is tomorrow and I'm so excited! I'm also so grateful not to be involved in organising anything but ourselves - and even that is a bit of a stretch as we're having to go down with Jo tonight instead of arriving a day early like we'd originally hoped.

My poor sister is trying to get all loose ends sorted so she can enjoy their day but at this moment I think my grandfather (from USA) is still getting here/ stranded across the pond due to bad weather, and so may only get here in the nick of time. Also there was a bit of drama with getting the music and chair covers sorted but I think that's mostly OK now.

I'm sure on the day she won't have to worry, and that it will be the best day of her life regardless.

So even today I have things I need to get (like waterproof mascara - just in case!) and organise having a few days at home. Sadly Tom only has the weekend free so I may be staying with the parents for a few extra days without him.

Anyway, in other news: I'm still reading A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, and I'm now at the section where it explains about different eons and periods of life in the Earth's history. It's very interesting to be reading this as a Christian too, and I'm fairly sure Bryson isn't, but one thing he does well in his works is not to be too biased. All he has done in this scientific book (he's usually a travel writer but has branched out into a few other areas over the last few years) is present the arguments and evidence for what we have found out. Nothing in it goes against the notion of God (so far, I haven't finished it yet!)

What I find fascinating is that we are trying so hard to discover so much and the planet we're on is so much bigger and so much older than we can begin to comprehend in our minds. And to me it is seeing how we humans are starting to piece together how God has made this place we live in, and what came before us. Obviously scientists may argue that it is just the natural process of the chain of life we stemmed from happened to end up with us, but that in itself does not mean there is not additional dimension from a deity.

Lost in wonder...

No comments: