Wednesday 19 December 2012

Family

I'm just this minute having a near-epiphany about family. I realise how much I value all my family members and how much I miss them.

Last weekend Tom and I trekked up to Blackpool for his grandmother's 70th birthday. Tom's family from Cheltenham were there too, as well as all the locals. It was the first time I'd see all of the siblings and cousins together before, and it was brilliant. The next occasion will probably not be until the wedding next year.

Now these people are also going to be my family, and I can't wait for that! I am going to be married to Tom and both sides will come together and I'll kind of be leaving my family but not really. [Enough lovey sloppiness]

What's also caught my attention a bit is that I have some old friends from years past who once were very close to me, and time has meant we've drifted apart. But there was also a lack of effort on both parts, and now I wonder how I feel. Some of them haven't ever met Tom, who is now a huge part of my present and my future. They've moved on, they are much more popular and busy than I am and they don't seem to have time for me. Likewise I have other commitments and social groups and not sure how things would fit together in this world.

Also, on a political note, can you exclude these people from the big events in your life? Tricky.

1 comment:

Toni Ertl said...

Do you have a date yet? Hope you're staying away from the end of April/early May since we're in Zimbabwe then and wouldn't want to miss you getting knotted!