Thursday 13 December 2012

Superstitions

Just grabbed lunch from a cafe down the road, and noticed that if you wanted to avoid walking on the cracks, Cheltenham is really not a good place to be.

There are paving stones everywhere, and because nowhere here is actually flat, most of the slabs are cracked and though functional, not tessellating.

The other day I briefly had a chat to someone about superstitions. I'm surprised at the number of people I've met (especcially 'rational' ones) who won't walk over drains. Now I said that I avoid walking under ladders but for the reason that they may well slip of something could easily fall off from them, whereas the drain covers are designed to be walked on. Obviously if one's fallen into disrepair then yes, avoid it. But what else is there to be worried about?

I also had a huge argument (really a heated discussion but I won't deny there was a bit of name-calling) the other day with someone about religion. Yay. I was trying to explain to them that even if they themselves don't believe in anything, there are positives people gain from beliefs and also it isn't ok to go around dictating to others that they should and shouldn't believe something. And that you can share something with people even if they don't have the same attitudes as you. This person just couldn't get that, but we agreed to just let it go before too many black eyes were exchanged.

Back on the spirit of tolerance, I've been making Christmas cookies! They're meant to have holes pierced in each of them so you can hang them on a tree but our tree is already crammed and I don't see the point wasting time using food as decoration when it can be eaten!

No comments: