Tuesday 20 September 2011

Looking Good?

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I'll think Tom and I are very different individuals, and we have things that drive each other nuts.

There are good things too though! One of the things I think I've learned from Tom is not caring too much about what other people think in terms of things like worrying about their reactions. Tom admittedly doesn't really care what anyone really thinks about him anyway, but I'm a bit more sensitive.

However I admire the ability to not get uptight and concerned about things which are really not too important, mainly my appearance. It's so easy to get anxious about things with all the pressure and media surrounding fashion and size and looking a certain way, etc... so to meet someone who had the attitude of not being too bothered by these sort of things is brilliant. From my perspective I know there are things Tom would prefer me to wear on occasions (for example he thinks I look nice in dresses) but would never force me to do anything. A while ago he was encouraging me to get a fringe but I quite firmly stated that would not happen!

When you look harder at the important things with people you see their beauty beyond their appearance. And I think it's a sign of maturity to consider that if you are spending your life with someone you will see them change and age and go through all things with it, and still want to be with them. We're in our prime now so arguably things are only going to go downhill! Losing hair, gaining hair, weight, wrinkles, teeth... the lovely list is endless if you want to find things 'wrong' with your body.

But instead celebrate that you are what you are and who you are and the important things are your health and your relationships. Bodies will wear out and get tired, your soul and spirit doesn't have to.

2 comments:

cgx said...

Just out of interest, is this Tom that doesn't care, the same Tom that had to change his shirt on the way into town because a stranger said it looked a bit gay....?

Olivia's Adulthood said...

Meanie! I have taken inspiration from his attitude (and maybe the guy had a valid point that Tom listened to!)