Saturday 10 September 2011

Some sad news

Yesterday I took Douglas, my 9 month old uromastyx, to the vet. He'd been avoiding most food and been lethargic for a few weeks and I was getting worried. My mum nicely came and gave me a lift down to the vet.

When we got there it turned out he had a massive blockage in his system, either impaction (only cause we could think of was when we got him in June he had been living on sand which is known for causing this problem) or a huge growth. Whatever the cause it had essentially blocked his entire system and was fatal. Given that he was only about 3 inches long surgery was pretty much out of the question so the kindest thing to do was to have him put to sleep.

It was a hideous and quick decision I had to make and I was (and still am) absolutely devastated. The vet was very kind and said it was clear he was well cared for and we loved him, and I had a brief moment to hold him to say goodbye.

I decided not to stay for the anaesthetic or take away his body as we don't really have anywhere to bury him and I wanted to remember him alive. He was so small, so young, and the only comfort we got was that it was nothing that we did to him that caused the problem; it was just how it was.

In a strange way the timing of this all has made things easier: I'm off all weekend so don't have to go to work, he still had enough fat in him to carry on living but he was never going to get better so at least he wasn't in any more pain than that. Sadly Tom was stuck at work when I told him but he tends to deal with these things better than me. I have spent most of the past day crying.

Rest in peace little Douglas. I'm so sorry it happened this way, but we gave you the best life we could and we love you very much.