Tuesday 17 January 2012

Space

This evening instead of watching the latest X-Men film as lent to me by friends, I am watching Stargazing Live on the BBC. I'm not too sorry about this for a few reasons: 1) I actually find astronomy really interesting. I'm crap at maths and physics so don't think I could ever study it properly but I do think looking at the sky (day or night) is fascinating and beautiful; and 2) I've already seen the film. It was good.

I know a lot of scientists will shirk away from the idea of a Creator when they are studying and declaring the universe and how it works, but to me the two concepts don't have to clash. We don't know exactly how big the universe is, and have very little hope of ever actually exploring it because it's just so difficult to get there.

I admire how fantastic the natural world and beyond is, and it fills me with wonder and amazement for God. It's nice to see there is something still so big for us to think about which we humans can't really wreck.

1 comment:

Toni Ertl said...

There's not really a contradiction except where we demand that God may have no part of it at all. But it makes much more sense to create a balanced system that will look after itself than one which requires constant intervention and propping up (which would be a very human thing to do).